Thursday, June 04, 2009

7 Preaching Discoveries in 7 Years (#2: Ask One Question)


Read them all HERE.

1. POSITIVE IS THE NEW BLACK
2. ASK ONE QUESTION, OR EXPLORE ONE ISSUE

After starting with potentiality and possibility, I now usually ask one question, or explore one issue. Mostly the former. And I try not to sow it up in neat packages: I work towards an answer, or I take steps forward in exploration. In the end, I know that we all have further to go: more of the Scriptures to read, more of our God to love. And the one question we raise has to be both the burning question of the text, and at the same time the burning issue for the hearer.

__________________
Pic on Flickr by Sean Dreilinger.

4 comments:

Anthony Douglas said...

Might the question not be the one question that unlocks a too-familiar text? That forces you to read it afresh?

In other words, the question might lead you to the burning issue, the hook that sucks you in. And also a little footprint of theological method, taught implicitly...

gbroughto said...

So the answer isn't always "Jesus"???

Justin said...

@Anthony -- perhaps. Coekin's point is that simple is good. But you approach could work.

RodeoClown said...

@gbroughto:- Jesus/God/The Bible were the big three where I grew up :)

You'd be guaranteed a correct answer 1/3 times just by guessing. I heard a joke about it a decade or so ago, that has stuck with me as I think it makes a good point:

PASTOR:
Can anyone tell me what's furry and grey, eats gum leaves and has a big, black, shiny nose?


KID:
I know the answer is "Jesus", but it sure sounds like a koala...