Sunday, September 17, 2006

The new 'Company Talk'

Churches used to talk all the time about removing jargon from our language. This was ‘company talk’, and those looking to join the company didn’t know the lingo. So words had to be explained or avoided.

So we worked hard at not using words like ‘sin’, ‘righteousness’, ‘judgment’ and ‘atonement’. These words needed to be avoided or explained. Interestingly, you could freely use words like ‘love’, ‘peace’ and ‘hope’. I’m not sure whether jargon was the problem, so much as fear of confrontation.

Hmmm.

Anyway, times have moved on. And the company is not quite the same as it was. So, I give you now the new company jargon. I've picked up many of these in this last year.

  • Missional
  • Worshipful
  • Emergent
  • Emerging
  • Lead Pastor
  • Wholeness
  • Wellness
  • Healthful
  • Conversant with...

I don't know what half of these words mean, and I work here.

Love, Justin.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

> I’m not sure whether jargon was the problem, so much as fear of confrontation.

I think that would be a fair conclusion to make there justin!


I have to stop myself using jargon at my TC B/s sometimes, especially with new kids, but you're right, it always seems to be those 'big' words that are just too contronting that we 'explain' but perhaps to soften that blow?! hm interesting thought anyway....

Scott said...

Some others we might want to add (not quite as odd but equally obscured from over use)

encouragement
accountable
member
just ("we'just' want to pray that . . ." )

michael jensen said...

hows about 'worship pastor'?

or 'purpose-driven'? I mean, what does 'purpose-driven' mean? What a load of gobbledygook!

megachurch?

oh, and some adjectives:

spirit-filled
awesome
extreme
godly (shame to list godly, used to be a good word)

Brandon said...

I was once given a paper in Bible college that was trying to convey the language barrier Christians have to overcome in order to talk about their faith to the unchurched. It contained language such as "washed in the blood," "eating the flesh," and tons of others that specifically escape me at the moment but whose impression has never left me.

We do love our language and today's power words will be tomorrow's pariahs. Nothing like being distracted from the real issue. Makes me think of St. Francis' quote: "Preach the Gospel, if Necessary use Words."

Eb said...

The term "wellness" seems to be appearing all over the place. Not that I know what it means...