Friday, December 15, 2006

Honour where it is due...

A word to my brothers and sisters at Christchurch St Ives in Sydney: You are blessed (in so many ways). Here is one:

The Apostle says: Pay to all what is owed to them: honor to whom honor is owed. I have just finished a subway ride listening to Nathan Walter’s sermon on 1 Corinthians 14 from last month. (For US friends: Wal succeeded me in being the pastor of evening church at St Ives in Sydney.)

The talk? Sensational! The bullseye was created for moments like this. He ‘rightly handled the Word of Truth’. He let the Word of Christ dwell in the congregation richly. It is rare to hear a talk with such clarity, humility and insight. And, of course, it raises more questions, which is the way it should be. (A talk should open doors, as well as close some). I gave a talk on this text maybe 3 years ago. Wal's was twice as clear, and twice as profound.

One of the best things about it was its balanced approach to tongue-speaking in church, and in the life of a believer. I think that he represents the Apostle’s words accurately. He didn’t react with either extreme on the matter, but rather said simply what the text said. Wal is a good man.

It reminded me of C.S. Lewis’ word on Martin Luther:
"For my own part I hate and distrust reactions not only in religion but in everything. Luther surely spoke very good sense when he compared humanity to a drunkard who, after falling off his horse on the right, falls off it next time on the left."
Luther’s point: There is no point in falling off the horse one way, and then reacting by falling off in the exact opposite way. That merely indicates that one is intoxicated. The key is to stay upright on the horse. To stay where you are supposed to stay.

How is it that Wal almost always gets that right??

Make mental note: Listen to more of Wal’s sermons... (for my soul's sake)

Love, Justin.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have been a busy blogger! Sorry I haven't kept up. Love the pictures! RYC thanks so much for the word from Jonah - it fills me with tears every time I read it or think about it. I guess I love this city and its people after all!

Anonymous said...

Justin, you are very right, we are very blessed to have Wal - for many reasons!
He did a great job of that whole series - i personally learnt A LOT from that sermon! Glad that although you are on the other side of the world you can share in that too!

Anonymous said...

Luther, Lewis, & Moffatt remind me:

how we fool ourselves, by the freedom of our sinful desires, convincing ourselves we have changed, when our selfishness changes clothes, our addictive nature changes flavour, our God-ignorance bounces between careerism and hedonism, our attacking targets another, our selfishness pretends to be doing God the favour of fighting on His behalf (rather than loving on His command).

I wonder if I honour those I believe honour is due, or those God believes honour is due.

I like your blog's traction.

michael jensen said...

honour.

not

honor.


puh-lease!

Renée said...

to michael...

did you go to barker?

"honour non honoures"

michael jensen said...

no,

but wouldn't it have been honor non honores?

ie Latin spelling?