Thursday, September 13, 2007

Yes, I *am* a fan of Selwyn Sexton (Part 2)

So where was I?

Ah yes. 2001. Camp. I'd sent an email out into cyberspace hoping that my word of encouragement would land in the inbox of someone to 'boast' about: one Selwyn Sexton.

Two days later, I received an email back. Mr. Sexton (in 2001) was living in ... get this...

Northern Zambia.

Northern What-ia?

You heard it, Northern Zambia. He and his wife had up stakes and moved to Africa with Sowers International to train local pastors how to preach. He had a home there, but was allowing a local pastor and his family live there because they had the need. So they lived basically out of a suitcase. He didn't live to preach himself, but he lived for the joy of hearing an African preach to Africans.

What does Jesus say?
"I tell you the truth," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last first."
Here is his Correspondence (I don't think he'd mind me posting it. It is is not really private.)
Dear Justin,

It was so good to receive your e-mail yesterday.

I was so very thrilled and humbled to hear of your progress in the Christian life. You brought back memories of that Mission at Eastwood Baptist and I remember, though rather vaguely, you and your friend coming to see me. I also remember sending you the follow up material and writing your name many times.

Thank you so much for thinking to write to me to share how the Lord has led you and blessed you over the years since that decisive day. Your letter has encouraged me greatly.

We are writing this from Northern Zambia and when we received the e-mail we were with our Senior Sowers worker and Christine read it out in his presence. He was also very encouraged.

We will be in Australia soon and we would like to meet you again some time during this period. We will e-mail when we get back to Australia to set a convenient time.

We trust you will have a wonderful time at the camp next week. We will be praying that the Lord will speak to many of the young people.

Thank you so much for sharing this great news. Looking forward to seeing you.

God bless, Selwyn Sexton
Part #3 tomorrow... From Africa to Australia...

______________________

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is a great story!