Then download Sermon Audio: Psalm 89: WHY CHRISTIANS SING. (20 min)
"We’ve done some singing tonight, and we’ve heard Nathan Tasker sing. And if you come here each week, you'll notice we sing, and then we sing some more: we are a singing community. At Christ Church NYC, we don’t overdo it; we may not be stylistically what you like; no one, of course, is compelled to sing; some of us – me included – know that we can’t really sing.
But singing is one of the things we do.
Here is what I want to do in the next 20 minutes: I want to explore why becoming a follower of Jesus is vital to living life and living. And I want to do it by looking at faith through the lens of song; through the eyes of singing community.
Let me ask two questions:
- Why do Christians sing?
- What do they have to sing about?
Where can you find people singing in New York City?
- At the 7th Innings stretch of a baseball game: you are united in a love for sport.
- At all events where they sing the National Anthems: you are united in a love for country.
- At concerts and bands. I’ve sung myself horse at more than one U2 concert. We are united in a love for a band.
- You can be found singing in choirs. Which is interesting – united in their love of singing.
Let's discuss why.
Download (or right click, save as) HERE.
Pic on Flickr by Scherbis.