9. SOME TRAVELLER’S FAITH DOES NOT SURVIVE
Know that many people take a step back in their relationship with God, most 'mark time', and only a few come back with a stronger in faith. This, of course, is my impression. If you know this is possibly true, then you can determine to be the one who comes back stronger. The reason that most people mark time or go back is that they don’t plan ahead. They plan their ticket, their route, their accommodation, their work, but they don’t plan to their spiritual life. Take a read of Luke 14:25-35.
10. BRING A BIBLE AND SEVERAL GOOD BOOKS
First thing to pack is NOT your toothbrush. It’s your BIBLE. Buy a smaller one if you need. Read it every day. Read maybe these books:
- Daniel [How to live in a hostile to God world]
- James [Faith without works is dead],
- Jonah [God is God even in Tarshish]
- The Psalms [Honest prayer].
- Luke [Jesus travel narrative: from Galilee through Judea and Samaria to the cross, with lots of calls to radical discipleship].
Plus take a couple of good Christian books. This can really shape a trip as well and is great for each plane leg. In reality some say it is difficult to read just the bible, but a book AND bible is great.
11. COME BACK HUMBLE, NOT PROUD
Don’t come back and be all disappointed that ‘people are still the same’. Especially at your Church. People will look at all your photos, but they will not have had the experience that you have had. Come back loving the idea of being more involved in church than you already are! In other words, don’t come back arrogant about your experiences. Come back humble.
That's it. Discuss.
Next: 10 Reasons not to give for Travel.
Pic on Flickr by Loungerie.