Sunday, April 23, 2006

'Sinclair'


The Poll shall continue for a few days longer.
Go and take a vote, and we’ll let you know the answer in a few days time.

This Post, however, is about The Girl.

I am prepared to say on this Blog the middle name of our Daughter.
The Girl's middle name is 'Sinclair'.

People ask why.

And here is the reason: Sometime in the late 1700s or early 1800s, my great-great-great Grandfather on my mother’s side was involved in some sort of near-drowning boating incident in the Shetland Islands where they lived. We have no knowledge of the details; suffice to say that he almost lost his life.

He was rescued by a man with the name ‘Sinclair’.

To express his thanks, my ancestor named his firstborn, Robert Sinclair.
And Robert Sinclair grew up and named his son, Robert Sinclair II.
And Robert Sinclair II grew up and named his son, Robert Sinclair III.
Robert Sinclair III was my grandfather.

The name ‘Sinclair’ stopped at that point, as often happens. [The last one was named in the early 1900s.]

My wife and I liked this story of rescue. And we named her Sinclair so as to remember, reflect and be thankful for two things:

1. A simple and random moment of rescue some 200 years ago.
2. A profound and designed moment of rescue we find in Jesus.

That and we liked the name…

Love, Justin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe thats really cool justin!
always interesting to hear where people's names come from and any meaning they have for the family!
I like it too hehe

Jenny said...

'The girl' is gorgeous.