Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Long View

The Wedding Vows from the Prayer Book:
I, N, in the presence of God,
take you, N, to be my wife,
to have and to hold
from this day forward,
for better, for worse,
for richer, for poorer,
in sickness and in health,
to love and to cherish,
till death us do part;
This is my solemn vow and promise.
Gordo is alright. Gordo wrote a post on marriage. And someone else posted a comment on his Blog saying that for 10 long 'unrelenting' years, things had been difficult. 10 years! It is comments like this that make me understand why we don't write our own vows. Here is the comment made by Gordo's correspondent:
We have been married for [many] years. For much of that time my wife has been more or less depressed, and we have just come out of the end of a ten year period of it. This has been the longest unrelenting period of it. Perseverance pays off, because at the moment we are like newlyweds, though rather experienced newlyweds. Life has certainly had its joys and sorrows, but we are now both more committed to one another than ever.
That's righteous. And it is the long view.

___________________
Pic on Flickr by Prosaic-.

4 comments:

byron smith said...

As rash young things, my wife and I wanted to write our own vows, but our priest talked us out of it (or rather, said "no way" and let us figure out why). Glad he did.

Justin said...

How long have you been married, Byron?

byron smith said...

Approaching 8 years.

byron smith said...

I guess I could say "approaching 50 years", but closer to eight.