Saturday, May 23, 2009

Slumdog Suffering

Report on yesterday's post: I crashed last night. Got 15 hours sleep. Back on my feet. All good.

Tonight, Dr Laurel and I watched Slumdog Millionaire again. I've reviewed it before. I now know what I like about the film. It is a picture of this truth: that one's suffering can be one's ally on the road to Glory. That Glory comes not despite suffering, but in it, through it, and then beyond it.
The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
That's from Romans 8:16-17.

Thanks be to Christ, who went before us.

_______________

1 comment:

Anthony Douglas said...

...plus the way the world clearly is revolted by suffering, and yet is proved wrong by 'destiny'. The film tells us that we'll be thought mad if we realise the truth of the theologia crucis, but will be vindicated in the end.

I saw it - thanks for your very subtle recommendation!