Friday, June 05, 2009

7 Preaching Discoveries in 7 Years (#3: Make Points)


See them all HERE.

1. POSITIVE IS THE NEW BLACK
2. ASK ONE QUESTION, OR EXPLORE ONE ISSUE
3. MAKE YOUR POINTS ACTUAL POINTS

i.e. not catch phrases or random words

This one I picked up from Richard Coekin from London. Richard saw one of my outlines 7 years ago and lambasted it. It was a lashing I needed. I had a good question. That part was OK. But my answer wasn't an answer. It was a series of random points. Like this:
  • The Case for Love.
  • Jesus and Love.
  • Being Transformed.
What?

Make your points sentences. Short ones. Memorable ones. But actual ones. If you can't say what your points are in the seconds before you preach - in actual helpful sentences - then how will your hearers know what they are? We won't remember it if you haven't said it.

_________________
Pic on Flickr by convexstyle.

4 comments:

dave miers said...

liking this series.

so far 3 from 3... i think that i've had some good teachers, models and read some good books!!

Anthony Douglas said...

I wonder if the distinction here arises from trying to help people remember the sermon vs the passage. Seems to me that sentences go with the former, and phrases more with the latter.

I'm not sure I buy the critique though. If it's off an outline, then hearers will transform it into what they need for recall - notetakers will add what they need for their own memory's sake, visual people will more readily remember a short phrase than a sentence, etc.

I think I'd dare to say that I don't really mind if my hearers remember my points. I do want them to remember a) the application and b) that they were sold on it as being right at the time. Everything else is secondary. I write my outlines to intrigue (in prospect) and remind of how we got there (in retrospect).

Sentences are not intriguing. They strike me as an invitation to switch off...

But maybe in a few more years I'll be more humble!

dave miers said...

simple solution anthony.

don't put the full sentence on the outline.

leave a fill-in-the-blank gap. that solves your desire for intrigue. not everyone takes notes if you don't have the gaps - but everyone will at least fill in the gaps as they follow along.

Anthony Douglas said...

Dave - I said 'intrigue', not 'irritate' ;-)