To write ten reasons not to travel is NOT to say that there aren't ten reasons TO travel. (Cop them negatives!) 'Twas interesting how many people thought that I believe that travel is out. If you knew me, you would know that this was not true. I like holidays.
I can only assume one of three things:
1. I am lousy at communication (which I will work on).
2. I am as judgmental as some said I am (which I will repent of).
3. I touched on a raw nerve. Or perhaps an idol.
Probably a little of all three. But what makes me think that travel is something of an idol is that no one disagreed or called me judgmental for my post on 10 Reasons *not* to go out for dinner. I think its exactly the same thought at heart. Anyway, it appears that travel is close to the nerve.
So I'm suggesting a collaborative effort.
Let's think up ten reasons TO travel. Suggest them to me. What were your reasons (if you traveled)? You can say anything you like in the comments section (as long as you are kind). Tell me your thoughts. I will process them by Wednesday, by way of my older (more negative) post, and suggest Ten Reasons TO travel.
While you are commenting on Travel, I here now suggest ten good reasons to go out to dinner tonight (provided your intentions be honourable!):
- God is created things that is 'pleasing to the eye and good for food.'
- God gave bread to 'strengthen man's heart'.
- God gave wine to 'gladden the heart of man'.
- You like steak. Rare. And with a Red.
- You have a favourite place, and you want to go there.
- You love someone and you wish to express it. (Date Night?)
- You want to express the you are one in Christ with a former enemy.
- To celebrate that someone was once lost, and now is found.
- Because the Kingdom of God is a great outdoor banquet.
- To take a homeless person and treat them like royalty.
So -- onto travel: Your reasons for travel, should you wish to tell me?
(Oh, and if you linked to the last post, would you be so kind as to link to this one? Otherwise, its just an exercise in controversy.)
Pic on Flickr by paololivorno.