Sunday, July 22, 2007

Evangelism: 7 Lies (#1)

These are 7 lies of the devil with regard to evangelism; and then 7 possibilities from God. I delivered these to the Jews for Jesus Summer Campaign volunteers last week.

First, let me be clear: I am not putting words in the devil's mouth. I haven't had a little chat with the devil on the side. He never took me out for a quiet beer on the Lower East Side to discuss his clandestine ways. I am (as CS Lewis did many years ago), extrapolating this from Scripture.

Lie #1. The message you speak is like a rented budget car.

Here is the lie: The message of Jesus is OK, but it ain’t that good; not by itself. It’s good that you have something to drive around your life in; and its certainly better than no car. But it’s not really that good and not that worthwhile. It gets me from A to B, but you may find better transport.

And so you feel you have to apologize for it.

I've rented budget cars from budget dealers, and I say things like – 'Well its all we needed; it's an economic choice; the smell isn't so bad once you get used to it'.

The devil wants you to believe that the message is sub-standard. But in Colossians 2:16-19 and 2:9-10, we hear the truth:
In Christ Jesus, you have fullness in all wisdom and understanding. (...) For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.
And like the Colossian Church, you will be tempted to think otherwise.


____________________
Pic by d-4ce

No comments: