Thursday, July 26, 2007

Evangelism: 7 Possibilities (#1)

The 7 possibilities were delivered to encourage the Jews for Jesus Summer Campaign volunteers last week. They speak into the 7 lies...

The 7 possibilities are built around the story of Philip and the Ethiopian in Acts 8:36-40. I fully recognize that the story is a description of then, not a prescription for now. I try to take care with that, drawing out the general things as they come up.


1. God has our life and movements in his hands.

The mere possibility that God is sovereign over my life and movements is of great comfort. It means that he has me were he wants me, and has the power to take me to where he knows I need to be. For Philip, it was concrete in the moment, and specifically revealed to him by the Spirit. V26
Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, "Rise and go toward the south to the road that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza."
My friend David L (a student at TKC) and I went to Washington Square Park on Good Friday to speak with NYU students about Jesus (A good day to do it). Before we started, David and I read Acts 8:36-40 without nativity: we know that there is no promise that the Spirit would speak to us like he spoke Philip. But we affirmed the sovereignty of God over our life and movements. So we asked God to lead us to the person who he wanted us to speak to.

5 said No.

Cloud said Yes.

Yes, Cloud is the child of hippies.

Cloud is 23, college-educated and temporally homeless. We went together to a local restaurant and we talked with him about his life, and we shared Jesus' story with him. David invited him to church, and Cloud walked 70 blocks to get there on Easter Sunday. And then he shared a meal with a family from church.

God has you were he wants you.

We need to see God working and vocalize it...

_____________________

No comments: