Tuesday, May 22, 2007

(#8) John 14 Sermon: The Grounds of that Love

(This is the eighth post in a Sermon on John 14:15-31. Read the passage and previous posts first.)

And what are the grounds of that love? It is this: to be caught up into the love of God; the love that God has within himself. As you read the text, did you notice the layering of persons and pronouns and personal pronouns (they's, he's, you's, I's, we's)? And did you find it hard to follow?

  • V15 Jesus said, "If you (disciples) love me (Jesus), you (disciples) will keep my (Jesus') commandments. 16 And I (Jesus) will ask the Father, and he (The Father) will give you (disciples) another Advocate (the Spirit of Truth), to be with you (disciples) forever.
  • V20 On that day you (disciples) will know that I (Jesus) am in my Father, and you (disciples) in me (Jesus), and I (Jesus) in you (disciples).
  • V23 Jesus answered him, "Those who love me (Jesus) will keep my (Jesus') word, and my (Jesus') Father will love them, and we (Father and Son) will come to them and make our home with them (Those who love me).

That feels a little crowded in there, doesn't it? (It is not crowded, by the way!)

The ground of the love of God is God himself. This passage is one of the key passages to drinking in the truth of the Trinity: that God is complex: he is not simple; that he is three persons, and one God. The Father – who loves the Son. The Son - who loves the Father and obeys him. The Spirit who proceeds from the Father and the Son, and who honors the Father and the Son by teaching about Jesus. Etc.

Now, the Trinity is Life Shaping. Life Shaping for at least one reason: It means that before God created a single person, he was already relating and already loving and already servant hearted within himself. God truly IS love; within himself.

What has this to do with our question of what to believe in a confusing array of choices?

You will only find a path froward if you Love Jesus as he is. Love the Father. Be caught up into his love, and 'they will make their home with you'…

And so what does he promise when he comes to you? More of the answer to come...

More to come...

No comments: