Tuesday, May 22, 2007

(#9) John 14 Sermon: ANOTHER advocate

(This is the ninth post in a Sermon on John 14:15-31. Read the passage and the other posts first.

And so what does he promise when he comes to you?

2. He will stand beside you and guide you into all Truth.

  • V15 Jesus said, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. This is the Spirit of truth…
  • V21 I will love them and reveal myself to them."

How will be reveal himself?

By sending the Holy Spirit.

  • V25 "I have said these things to you while I am still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will …

Now, I will be spending more time on this next Sunday (sermon on John 16), suffice to say that the Spirit stands beside us. The Greek Word has been translated ‘Advocate’ is in our NRSVs. Is the word: Paraclete. [Not Parakeet (if that helps you to remember), but Paraclete]. But the NIV, it is translated 'Counselor', and in other translations: Comforter, Helper.

When a word is translated that many times from the original language, it may well mean that the word is too rich for one English Word. Literally what it means is to: "Stand Beside".

Like in a court, or in certain social services, when a person realizes that by their crime or their lack of knowledge, or their helplessness, they NEED someone to stand beside them and advocate for them; to fight for them and for their freedom.

You have Jesus, Yes. But you have ANOTHER advocate. One that will stand beside you NOW, and speak to you of your forgiveness in Jesus, whenever your heart condemns you. Or Satan accuses you, you have someone – The Spirit – telling you the Gospel.

More to come...

No comments: